DXCC

Subject: DXCC
From: s974878@umslvma.umsl.edu (s974878@umslvma.umsl.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 27 11:51:36 1996

> [...]
>>issue of requiring proof of operation is getting to be a bit much.  First.
>>let me say that I am all for maintaining the integrity of the DXCC program
>>and reasonable diligence is not only acceptable but desirable.  But it seems
>>to me that what I refer to as "reasonable diligence" is becoming an
>>albatross around the neck of the whole DX community.
>>
>>We have been given the ability to exercise judgement.  It's great to have
>>rules, but if people can't use judgement to interpret the spirit of the
>>rules, then the rules make us prisoners to some decisions that the majority
>>don't agree with because they just don't make much sense.....e.g. the ruling
>>on XZ5A, the ruling on TT8OBO, the current ruling on 5A1A....etc.  All of
>>these operations were clearly acceptable to the government.  They were
>>ongoing ...and there was in my opinion reaonable proof that the operators
>>were there with a form of permission to operate.    The form of the
>>permission in a country where amateur radio is a "rarity" may vary, and
>>there may be different forms of acceptable permission even if there is a
>>so-called licensing authority.  So, for example, if the permission is in the
>>form a letter from the president's brother it may just have to be
>>acceptable.  There may be no reasonable way to get a document from the local
>>"FCC" if there even is such a thing.  Does that mean the operation is not
>>valid for DXCC?  Hogwash!  A reasonable person can evaluate the evidence and
>>make the correct judgement--and each case should be judged on its own merit
>>with the "rules" as guidelines.
>>
>>Of course this will always lead to questions of "where do you draw the line
>>on reasonable" -- The only thing I can say is the guy in charge won't
>>"always" be right in everyone's eyes....but then the decisions on acceptable
>>operation haven't always been "right" anyway, have they?  (XY0RR)  This is a
>>hobby...with a great award -- DXCC -- but let's keep the administration of
>>the award within the realm of what is reasonable.....  Why not have a team
>>of three ARRL people -- dx'ers, not board members -- be responsible for
>>"judging" whether an expedition has "acceptable" permission -- Majority rules.
>>
>>Just my opinion...which may be worth no more than it cost you to get
>>it....73 de Greg-N4CC
>>
>>-------
>>Forwarded via the Internet DX Mailing List.
>>
>>Submissions: dx@ve7tcp.ampr.org
>>DX info on the Web: http://ve7tcp.ampr.org/DX/
>

>        It seems clear to me that the ARRL no longer wishes to be part of
>DXing and contesting.  The entire program has become a costly and
>unprofitable albatross to them.  Their discontent is clearly reflected in
>the form of increased fees for submissions and low profile DX columns and
>articles.  It may well be their intent to instill controversy over the
>acceptance of rare DX operations in the hope that someone else will relieve
>them of the burden which they themselves have created.

                *
               * *
              *****
             *     *
            *       *       *
           *         *     *
                      *   *
                       * *
                        *

From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid) (Jim Reid)
Subject: "Goodies"  for Sale, Low Prices!

Where on the net do I list some stuff I ought to sell?
Logikey keyer,  KAMplus and sftwr , all my
Packet stuff, inc.DR-1200T plus a Ten-Tec 253
auto ant tuner,  etc,  etc,  etc.   I know not here,
but where?

Thanks and 73,
73 and Aloha,
Jim Reid, AH6NB (Happily retired on the Island of Kauai)
Hawaii,  USA     Email: jreid@aloha.net