The "Good Old Boys on 75M"

Subject: The "Good Old Boys on 75M"
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR) (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
>     If rule changes are considered on the basis of bully -boy tactics by
>sociopathic individuals who obtain their kicks by interfering with
>contesters, then I would go out of my way NOT to change any aspect of the
>contest.

Agreed.

>     I have every right to a clear frequency... especially during a
>contest...

Disagree completely. I think this is the problem from the good old boys on
down.

NO ONE has ANY RIGHTS to ANY Frequency. Everyone must tolerate QRM. A
contester should know best that contests are times of intense QRM.

These Good Old Boys that sit on the same frequency every night or every
week or whatever have come to expect a clear dedicated channel. That's the
problem. If everyone expects a clear frequency, asserting it as their
"right", tempers are going to flare an unpleasant things will happen over
the air.

We contesters should set an example by accepting QRM. We should hone our
skills to avoid it, to work through it, or to move on when we cannot.

>and will use every method I know of to use that frequency...
>especially when being the object of flak from the deviants. I have in the
>past and will continue as long as I seriously contest.

I have found that igoring QRM works. When asked politely to move, I will
move 500 kHz without blinking. 99% of the time, that's enough.

>    In other words, Don't let the b**tards get you! Which is what I'm
>getting at here.... Don't make any changes to any test due to jerky
>behavior that you have no control over!  I may turn the other cheek in a
>fight, but I won't leave the ring. I think radio contesting should
>operate the same way.

Amen.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR      Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Man will never fly in a thousand years!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1902