Tower Load Distribution

Subject: Tower Load Distribution
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths) (Stan Griffiths)
One topic that seems to be missing from all the tower discussions I see here
lately is the fact that it is not simply the number of square feet of
antenna that loads the tower, but how those square feet are distributed on
the tower as well.

Everything I see published from Rohn shows the ENTIRE antenna load
concentrated right at the top of the tower in one place.  Certainly,
mounting antennas on a mast that sticks above the tower loads it
differently, but how differently?  I have two towers with antennas above the
top by about 10 feet.  How did I determine it was safe?  I didn't!  I just
guessed and I've been lucky for 25 years.  I must have made a good guess.
There has to be a better way . . .

Stan  W7NI@teleport.com