WB7SND's Mast Plan

Subject: WB7SND's Mast Plan
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths) (Stan Griffiths)
>>My current plan is to put a 20' mast thru my garage roof with a Force12 C-4
>>on it.  I'll probably guy the mast.  I plan to have a relative easy way to
>>"lower" mast and all should winds come up.  The rotor will be IN the garage
>>so the only thing outside will be the mast (3" water pipe) and the antenna.
>>

>>73, WB7SND (ex XR0Z .. CW)
>
>   Wouldn't a little roof tripod be sturdier and more convenient than a 3"
>pipe?  Yes, the tripod will be more expensive.  I'm not sure that a Hy-Gain
>mast mounting bracket will go to 3" although the Yaesu clamps should
>accommodate it.  Just be sure to put some sort of collar and eatherproofing
>around the mast to keep water out of your garage and it'll work just fine.  I
>think you'll have fun with the Force 12 antenna - they seem to work very
>well.
>
>73 and good luck, Steve    K7LXC
>
>      "Up The Tower"      now appears in CQ Contest magazine

My advice would be to abondon the water pipe idea.  Water pipe is
notariously weak for this application.  It is made for conducting fluids
from point to another, not for building antenna supports.  You can get good
steel masting that will look the same as the water pipe but will be much
stronger.  Check K5RC's ad in the Contest Journal for strong masts.

Stan  W7NI@teleport.com