New blood vs. Young Blood

Subject: New blood vs. Young Blood
From: WR3O@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (WR3O@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Thu Feb 29 16:39:40 1996
Thought I'd jump in here with my two cents on the "new blood" issue.

The main point I would like to make is that while there is (and
should be) lots of focus on getting YOUNG folks interested in
contesting, don't forget about the not-so-young types who may be
prime candidates for a lifetime carreer in contesting.

A case in point: myself.  I am 33 years old, and have been licensed
since 1976 (ex-call: WB3FAX).  I held a General class license from
1977 until 1988 when I got the 'bug' again and started becoming
interested in DXing.  After months of DXing with a wire and 100W,
my CW finally improved enough to upgrade.

Meanwhile, I'd heard the cacaphony of contests and wondered why
anyone would ever want to do that!  My desire for more countries
led me to actually start having exchanges with some of these
'contest maniacs' so I could increase my country totals.

Then, one fateful night, I decided to enter a contest for the purpose
of seeing what kind of score I could make.  This was the 1994 CQ 160
DX CW contest - and I really haven't been the same since.  I finally
figured out for myself that contesting is SERIOUS FUN.  See my article
in NCJ from that year.  "Contesting - what's the fuss all about?"

Meanwhile, there is Billy Cox AA4NU - my contesting Elmer.  Billy
had been working on me for a couple of years to get me interested in
contesting.  My response was always a lukewarm "sounds interesting but
I just don't think that's for me..."  I thought that after months of
"not interested" he would leave me alone, but no!  He patiently continued
to present contesting and its assocaited challenges in a light that I
found more & more attractive.  Bill has been the ultimate Elmer.
He makes me figure out stuff on my own, challenges me to improve my
station and technique, and provides lots of support and encouragement.
Most of all, he reminds me what is most important - HAVING FUN!
I know Billy has also worked with folks a lot younger that I am.
I am very grateful he hung in there and kept wotking on *this* OM!
Let me assure you, if there were more hams like AA4NU, you'd have more
new contesters like me.  And today, I feel like I am in this game for
the long haul.  I look forward to years of contesting.  You (we) are an
*amazing* group of people!

So, don't forget about the older guys who may just be ripe for a new
challenge.  New blood does not have to be just young blood.

And thanks to AA4NU for getting me into this mess!

73, Kirk  WR3O