WRTC-96 Press Release #6

Subject: WRTC-96 Press Release #6
From: Skoch92707@aol.com (Skoch92707@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 20:56:52 1996
>WRTC-96 plans to pay for their local lodging, meals, transportation,
>public events and awards during the week of the contest.

> And of course, if a $1,000 contribution is
>beyond your budget, we certainly will appreciate whatever amount you can
>contribute."

> The two-operator teams include not only
>contesters who have won world or continental championships from their own
>countries but also the defending champions from WRTC-90, held in Seattle,
>WA in 1990.  The teams will operate matched stations in the 1996 IARU HF
>World Championship contest to determine the "best of the best."  A group
>of twenty-one judges, themselves a Who's Who of international contest
>winners from around the world, will oversee the competition and confirm
>the results.

>  Recently incorporated as a California non-profit public
>benefit corporation, WRTC-96 now is seeking additional donations from
>businesses and individuals in support of its projected $90,000 expense
>budget.

Get a list of all the participants and judges. Add up the number of people
this includes.
Divide this number into the amount of cash still needed. Charge everyone the
appropriate fee. Problem solved. Anyone who is not a "who's-who" will not
have to pay up one red cent. All of the "who's-who" folks will thus be
financing their own WRTC. After all, who else could possibly benefit from a
private contest but the "who's-who"? Will we finally find out who the best
contesters really are? Did we ever really care? Will the losers whine about
how they were not really at an actual "evenly-matched station? (This one we
probably know the answer to.)  IMHO, anyone willing to pay the above
mentioned red cent is a fool. However, I would obviously support their right
to spend money anyway they see fit. After all, this is a free country and a
mostly free world.

                                           Who's-nobody (but I wish I was
special)