Taping Coax to a tower leg.

Subject: Taping Coax to a tower leg.
From: ramirezk@emi.com (ramirezk@emi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 16 19:20:31 1996

You Said:
>When using tape to secure coax to a tower leg, only use a few
>turns and wrap every few feet to eliminate any chance of the
>cable "clanging" against the tower leg, ala flag pole ropes.
>73  John  W0UN

> Hi John,
       I have found that using tape to secure coax to the tower
legs is not such a good idea. The moisture buildup under the
tape will eventually rust that portion of the tower leg;even a
well galvanized tower leg. I found this out the hard way with
some tower I had back in Upstate New York. Water will find its
way under that tape and won't easily find its way back out.It
will  slowly take its toll. My first preference is to use
commercially available standoffs that fasten securely to the
tower leg. If I can't get enough of these for free or cheaply
enough then Black UV treated Tie Wraps(tm) are my next choice.
One just has to be careful not to over tighten to avoid damage
to the feedline. It looks alot neater too! 73 Ken KP4XS/W4