Lightning Strike

Subject: Lightning Strike
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 09:42:00 1996
>The bottom line is, we are entering the thunderstorm
>season -- make sure you think about your lightning protection. A complete
>disconnect is your best insurance.

Hiya, Jay --

    Living here in the Pacific Northwest, I don't envy your lightning
activity.  At least you're closer to EU than we are.

   Yes, make sure you think AND ACT about your lightning protection.
 Although  disconnecting one's feedlines is a time-honored amateur tradition
in the face of an imminent lightning storm, it may be more psycholgical
benefit than actually helpful.  If you take a hit, the transient surge of
even an "average" strike is probably in the range of 18,000 amperes.  It's
still going to try to find a path to ground and may arc from where it is
laying to something else.  If your equipment is still plugged into an AC
outlet, it may arc to the equipment.  There are whole books written on this
topic so I'm not going to attempt to cover it.  The bottom line is to design
one's ground system to keep lightning OUT of the shack through a
contientiously designed and installed single-point ground system.  Let me
know if you want me to send you more information on this topic.

73 and good luck,   Steve   K7LXC