Lightning Strike

Subject: Lightning Strike
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 17:50:24 1996
>Each of these services accomplished grounding by a connection with a clamp
on the nearest cold water pipe.  What should be the approach for a SPGS in
such a situation?

Hello again, Jim --
   First of all, this'll take 25 words or more - hi!  A copy of the grounding
information that I mentioned is winging its way to you!
   Secondly, I wouldn't consider the water pipe grounding to be any good at
all.  You need to connect everything together so I would start with the
telephone ground.  Put in a stake, connect the telephone ground to it and run
an under ground wire around the house to the power ground and connect them.
 Your single point ground system should probably be located where your
feedlines enter your house; THIS will be your single point.  Install a bulk
head grounding bus bar with a ground wire from it to your in earth ground.
 Connect everything to this point including feeline and control cables, the
telephone and power grounds and ground cable from your tower grounding. If
you don't tie everything together, you will definitely have voltage potential
differences  and the different elements will rise and fall at different rates
producing the arcing and damage that we're trying to avoid.
73 and good luck,   Steve   K7LXC
PS - I will be giving a talk at the Dayton Contest Seminar on "Building A One
Tower Station."  Stop by if you have a chance