Blown Filaments

Subject: Blown Filaments
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 09:25:21 1996

>Yes!! I recently had a rash of Sylvania light bulb failures, too.  Mine were
>100 watt "Double Life" Soft White bulbs that carry the following guarentee
>on the package:  "If you are not satisfied with the performance of this
>bulb, return the proof of purchase seal to the address on the bottom of this
>package along with your name and address.  It will be replaced with a new
>bulb free of charge."

Perhaps it's parasitics, rooted in a manufacturer's conspiracy to sell or
build bad products?

Just a humorus thought!

73 Tom

From: PAT DOYLE <DOYLEPS@LAKEHURST.NAVY.MIL> (PAT DOYLE)
Subject: Reply to 'Who will be the first to admit...' (a little

             long)

In support of Atlas Radio, I must say that my
wife, N2XQI, and I visited their factory and
office in Solana Beach, CA, last spring.  We were
in San Diego and decided to drive the 20 or so
miles north to see what they were doing.

They had a staff of about six.  There were about a
dozen finished radios waiting for final testing.
Two radios had been recently shipped.  There were
at least a dozen more "in-the-build."  Herb's son
was running the operation and assisting in the
building and testing of the radios.  He seemed
happy to show us what they were doing and he
demonstrated the radio for us.  The receiver
sounded good.  The transmitter output what was
advertised and looked good on a 'scope.  He said
that his personal 400x worked well and was hoping
that he would be getting good reports from the
delivered units.

Based on published accounts, it sounds like they
encountered a cash flow problem.  If they have
gone under, I think it is a shame.  They were not
acting like a fly-by-night operation and seemed
truly interested in supporting amateur radio.
They are/were not a large corporation, like most
of the radio manufacturers from Japan.  Cash flow
is especially important for a small company.  When
it stops, so does your operation.  From the
attitude that they projected, I don't believe that
they would intentionally stiff anyone.  My father
has owned an Atlas 210x for almost 20 years.  It
is not the most feature-filled radio, but it has
worked very well.

We discussed their previous radios.  He pointed
out that their last previous radio in the late
70's, the 350x?, was a bit of a trail-blazer in
solid-state terms.  200+ watts output and a bunch
of other features.  I don't remember all the
details.  The problem was that it's assembly was
too complicated for mass production and the US
component supply began to be a problem.  The
Japanese radios began to undercut them, forcing
them to go out of business or to go to bankruptcy
court.

This time around, they hoped to be able to get
enough product to market in time to keep cash-flow
positive, the goal of all businesses.

73 de KA2GSL