Stub QTHs

Subject: Stub QTHs
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 08:10:06 1996
it's good to start seeing more tech stuff again!

OK....on my antennas I have CATV hardline coming in from the towers which
stops just outside the shack and at that point it is married with something
flexable so it will pass through a hole in the wall and in turn over to a
coax switch.

I would like to experiment with stubs to lower the interference between
bands...on the 40 meter line at first. We use ICE filters and they work very
well with the exception of 15 meters vs 40 meters.  The guy who is on 15
really reamed the 40 meter operator during the CQ WW and I am hoping to
subdue 40's bloody harmonic to ensure operator tranquility and maximum 40
meter score in the next contest....we missed some of the early run time on 40
in exchange for 15 meters getting mults....the good news was we had as many
mults as the big Northeast Multi-Multis when the dust settled....the bad news
was our 40 QSOs were down.

Question 1): it would seem that placing the stub as close to the linear is
the best place for it (I guess)....but it sure would be easy to place a
t-connector on the outside of the house where the hardline ends and take that
rolled up stub line and hang it up on the outside wall of the house on a
graden hose hanger....it would also be very cosmetic/neat/orderly.

Question 2): Okay I 'm gonna put the stub/trap outside. Is there a length of
coax running to the rig from the stub that would be better or worse? I know
some have talked about using two stubs and a crtical spacing between the two
exists (is it 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave ??).

Question 3): If I make the stub out of 1/2" CATV hardline what is my
multiplier for calculating its length? If I understand correctly, hardline is
a much better choice for this type of a "filter", as opposed to say RG213
with a woven shield. Hopefully the stub I will need is an "open" at the far
end and I can home in on the correct length with my tubing cutter and a pair
of lineman's pliers.

Question 4): Have you used Autek RF-1 to make stubs? What technique do you
use with it, i.e. what position do you set the meter in, etc. Have you found
it to consistantly say the same thing - and - have you checked it against
another measuring device. I like ours a lot, it is neat, but I sometimes see
it "take off" on the lower frequencies, I suspect due to the fact that we
have an AM broadcast sire nearby which probably is overloading it.

Enough questions...I will summarize my responses for y'all - thanks in
advance to all who reply.

73, (<--this means best regards, there is no such thing as 73s)

Jim, K1ZX     bk1zx70sfl@aol.com

From: Richard Riley #7122" <RRILEY%ESA.bitnet@listserv.gmd.de (Richard Riley
#7122)
Subject: Brand spanking new MULT!

THIS IS OFFICIAL!

4U1SCO will be active on 80-10m (160m uncertain) including WARC bands on
both phone and CW as of Friday 29/03/96.

There was talk of some VHF work and maybe even SSTV!

F5SNJ/OWK, F/OK1FWM and F1FNQ/PNQ will be demonstrating Amateur Radio
to groups of young French children belonging to UNESCO youth clubs.

Up to three HF stations will be active simultaneously.  One for the demos
.probably on 20/40/80m on phone and probably speaking French,
one for CW...most likely on the WARC bands, and a third on phone to hand out
the multiplier in the contest.

Transmissions will take place from within the UNESCO grounds in central Paris
using verticals and wire dipoles...so signals may not be outstanding!

Permission for the above call has been granted for a period of three days.
QSLs to F5SNJ..although I believe cards for all QSOs will be sent via the
bureau following the operation.

The call TM5SCO (number?) may also be used.

73

Richard Riley
G0JFX/F5VCO

email:  rriley%esa.bitnet@vm.gmd.de