Power

Subject: Power
From: jirka@jimaz.cz (jirka@jimaz.cz)
Date: Fri Mar 29 00:01:53 1996
Hello everyone,

The power discussion has some points.
At first my licence limit is 2 kW output so with anything I run or have run fit
well within this limit.

I do agree with the view of NI6T that the competition is always within your
area, in my case my competitors are stations let's say within EUROPE. I do not
want to compare my score with someone in the Caribean or in Africa.

I am probably the one cited by GW4BLE. I have (on top of the hill) with
reasonably wet soil around:
3 el delta on 80, 3 el delta on 40, only 6Y on 20 (we work on it), 6/6 on 15
and
6/6/6 on 10 each on separate tower and lets say US legal power 1.5 kW out.
While
beeing in GW land I decided to withit him and when I was looking his QTH I was
driving and I said to my son look for the large antennas, the guy has as I am
informed better or at worse similar signal to my one so there are going to be
big antennas somewhere. We have driven through the street three times up and
down and seen nothing, so finaly I stopped, checked the house number and found
the house and at first look seen no antennas, on closer one I have seen
something like TH6DXX on 40 ft ('FOOT' no METERS) tower and some sloppers or
dipoles There is nothing more !!!!!. So I asked. We might talk about skill...
but when I ask somone from the USA about comparison of the signals the answer
is
about the same or you are a bit weaker (as I believe there are some "basic
physical rules" guess yourselves - since he has 400 out - I have 1500, I have
in
any case twice as big antenna at least twice as high)- OK he is almost 1000
miles more to the west but.... So where is the hidden clue ?!?! Maybe I am not
good enough operator, I am ready to admit it any time.

The other point of view is that to have PPA delivering more than those magical
2kW is big technical problem (not speaking about jamming TV, phone,
VCR.....thick el.network, thick coax cables....) and I think there is in the
reality only a few 'amateur' stations worldwide (I mean that really run 5 kW
out
or more). I have seen many "big gun stations" in the USA - like KC1F, K1AR,
K1DG, K1GQ, N4ZC, WM5G (KR0Y), KA5W.... and I (may be naively) believe they run
more-less the US (or better to say technical) above mentioned limit since what
have seen they have mostly some ETO and some of those have conventional RG8 or
RG213 coax so.... They deliver some signal to EU and so far as I can hear there
is NO station in those areas delivering considerably stronger signal to EU
steadily i.e. there is no one having much larger antennas (since it is
physically impossible) and also no one has probably significantly bigger power
since it would be audible ower the pond.

While writing this there is one legendary station - I5NPH, he was probably the
EU beacon having larger antennas than anyone else and also running much much
bigger power than anyone else, I have not heard him or of him for years now,
does someone know what happend with the station ???

73 ! and see you in the WPX on 20 m sigle band.

                                                Jiri - OK1RI     jirka@jimaz.cz