A contester is born...

Subject: A contester is born...
From: tad.danley@nextel.com (tad.danley@nextel.com)
Date: Mon Apr 1 22:16:48 1996
     A friend at work has been mildly interested in amateur radio for a
     while, so I loaned him my R4C receiver two weeks ago and we put up a
     ten meter dipole at his place so he can listen to the satellites.
     After hearing me on the downlink through RS-12, he wanted to get in on
     the action!

     I invited him over to my very modest station (100 watts and one wire)
     for the start of WPX.  After watching me for about an hour we swapped
     seats.  I helped him through the next hour for about 15 Qs (hey...I
     said 100 watts and a wire - what do you expect?!) then gradually faded
     into the background.  He was hooked!  I wish I had a picture of the
     look on his face when stations in Croatia, Russia and Bulgaria
     answered his calls.

     He returned Saturday afternoon and made me sit in the second chair for
     about four hours while he worked the contest.  Jay is looking forward
     to the next ham classes in the Atlanta area.  This summer he will be
     on the air as KF4???.

     I guess this puts us in the Multi-Single category for CQWW WPX???

     My only regret is I waited 22 years after I got my ham ticket to get
     into contesting!

     73, Tad, NZ3I