Tetrode QRO

Subject: Tetrode QRO
From: AB5YG@aol.com (AB5YG@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 6 12:28:42 1996
Garry, NI6T wrote; Building own 4CX1600B amplifier ---

Building your amplifier? Building anything?  Congratulations ---  I fondly
remember those days --
I remember going to "radio row" on Courtland St. in NYC and dragging big
transformers/caps/chokes, Radar Transmitters,  &  whatever else we could
carry back to NJ on the Jersey Central RR. (I liked anything with lots of
meters)

My first "big" amp ran a pair of 803's in Class C -- I remember that amp well
-- I developed an everlasting respect for a 2500 volts!!  An old buddy of
mine (K2PBQ now KC4UIJ) stopped by yesterday (Last eyeball QSO was 35 yrs
ago) and we reminnesed about the amplifier we built back in the late 50s that
had thirty 837s in the final. We also discussed the scars still on his hands
from grabbing the smoking cables going from his car battery to the motor
generator set that powered his Harvey Wells Bandmaster, sending CW with car
horns, the car hop and all of that good old stuff ---- Great memories!

Whats all of this have to do with tetrode QRO? - Not much --- I just got
carried away --

Bottom line: I still have my "pride and joy" 2M Amplifier - Just could not
part with it -- I designed and built it back in '67 and have not used it
since 1972!   It uses a pair of RCA 8122s (400W plate dissipation tetrodes)
running in class C. It has RCA air system sockets, strip line input network,
1 1/2" silver plated copper pipe output network, unbelievable shielding and
of course lots of meters.  The amp has a built in Zener Diode string for the
screens and a grid bias supply.  All that is required is a 2500 volt power
supply - HV input to the amp is via a HV BNC connector. I have 2 (never used)
spare 8122s.

I would like to GIVE my amplifier to any ham (that builds stuff) attempting
VHF contesting, 2M long haul, moonbounce, etc., -  that needs a little help.
(pickup from Ocean Springs, Mississippi)

I built the following amps and enjoyed every bit of it ---
6L6s on HF
807s on HF
811s on HF
837s on HF