Another Attack on Contesting

Subject: Another Attack on Contesting
From: RFPWR@aol.com (RFPWR@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 6 14:36:49 1996
Hi All:

While comparing my 20M yagi and Quad after some antenna work, I came across
14275, where K1MAN was broadcasting a radio call in show. He received a call
from WL7DU in Mikiski, AK. WL7DU read a copy of a letter he was getting ready
to mail to ARRL, CQ, FCC, and his elected representatives.

The text of the letter described an incident which occurred during the ARRL
DX phone contest. WL7DU was communicating with a ship in the Pacific which
was in some distress (equipment malfunctions) although it apparently was not
a declared emergency.
Bottom line- WL7DU was upset when several contesters would not relinqush or
clear the frequency. His letter calls for the establishment of contest free
segments for each band (that topic again). WL7DU's letter made a specific
point that ARRL (or other contest sponsers) could be liable for loss of life
during an emergency if the published rules don't set aside frequencies for
emergency or other use. I am no lawyer, but this seems a stretch to me.

After WL7DU read his letter, which was well written, K1MAN talked about
contesting and the ARRL for about 30 minutes. Instead of banning contests,
K1MAN proposed clear frequencies be set aside for emergency communication
during contests. He used the opportunity to attack ARRL for not covering the
activities of his followers.

Although I appreciated the lengthy one way broadcast to use for my antenna
measurements, how does he get by with running a broadcast station on 14275?

73, Chas N8RR