(LONG) One mans spot is anothers QRM!

Subject: (LONG) One mans spot is anothers QRM!
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 21:42:56 1996
There is one Florida station, W4VQ, who consistantly puts the best (juciest)
Florida spots out onto the Florida Cluster. As Red, K0LUZ, has pointed out
here on the Contest Reflector the Florida cluster just ain't happenin' when
it comes to frequent good stuff coming over packet.

W4VQ, is on the DXAC, a great operator....and a very active DXer, he is also
an ardent believer that Florida spots should originate from Florida
stations....he out and out has a fit whenever someone interconnects with
other clusters...why? Bob doesn't want a spot from a W6 telling him about an
Asian satation and feels the W6 doesn't want to know about an opening on 28
MHz to EU over AF!

I used to feel very strongly along Bob's way of thinking until I saw the
amount of traffic a big contest club generates during a contest weekend! This
completely changed my outlook on packet and its effect on contesting. Packet
took off after I left the Northeast and it wasn't until we were able, via
radio, to tap in to one of those Northeast clusters several contests ago,
that I understood the value of these spots- and why many clubs are zealous
when it comes to protecting them.

To truly comment on this you have to have watched a screen during a contest
weekend when a big club is cookin'....the spots are at a blistering speed.
When we had a propagational slump on 20 on Sunday afternoon and I switched
the filter on CT to any new call spot - not just multipliers....I worked all
the random Euros that were being spotted on 20 and was able to maintain a 60
hour rate! This is no small stuff, on a Sunday when you have worked over a
1000 QSOs on a band to be able to S&P (without S-ing) to a 60 hour! Wow.

The schools of thought on the value of clusters vary, I see them as very
important to contest CLUB scores....they are indeed the product of lots of
ears working in conjunction to create lots of spots. Truly a club activity.

The clusters are very valuable, but most valuable to uping toi scores of the
middle and lower level CLUB members....they make it hot by spotting all they
hear, and they benefit by adding larger scores thanks to their club members
spots. If they are submitting larger scores they are probably having more
fun, too. If they are having fun, it is a good thing.

As long as someone doesn't pull the lame stunt of claiming he didn't use the
cluster and enters as non-assisted I think Packet is a plus for the contest
community....the new guys get hooked harder, sooner! As long as their mentors
explain that there is a next tier, of going "sans" packett that is.

If everyone's cluster gets interconnected to everyone elses cluster there
will be a gawd awful amount of stuff coming in to digest! Just the three
Northeast clubs could surely overload the buffers of most guys' software!

Is this what we want? If it is then we need to address this as it will be a
nightmare technologically.  The big question is whether it is what we want.

We may be shooting ourselves in the foot, though.

Probably the biggest thrill in contesting is when we see our own scores grow
as we get better and learn more. If we create mega "databases" of what is on
now so we can arrow our way to that contact are we really learning anything?

The lesson to the new guy might be seen as he who uses his computers best,
not his radios best, is the winner. This is previously covered ground on the
reflector but the idea of the Internet as a backbone for the clusters is
perhaps the final phase of ushering in this era. Is it operating?

If a computer user can function key his way to 60 hours and all the juicy
multipliers, he will be coming real close to typing his way into the top ten!
The only thing left to do is run EU/JA and he could win. Huh, what happened
to knowledge of when and where to be?

Just a thought, I still haven't learned my DX propagation paths and by the
time I do I don't want to be upstaged by an assisted guy with a hot pinky on
the arrow keys! I like to think I am on my way to being a more savy operator,
Pinky - well...he is on his way to being a better typist!

How much is too much? When will we stop operating all together and totally be
packett grabbing clones?

Oh yes, a good operator plus the packet wealth creates some monster
scores....and has more fun than without them....but what about teaching the
new guys? Passing on the knowledge of propagation paths lil used....will that
still be important?

Enough. I need a good contest fix.

Jim, zx        k1zx@contesting.com