Antenna input sought

Subject: Antenna input sought
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 10:31:22 1996

>      Two ground/counterpoise options come to mind. The beam and tower
>would act like a radial, maybe? It is 60 ft. tall, almost a 1/4 wave at 3.5
>mhz.

Remember that a 1/4 long conductor **inverts** the impedance, so simnce  (I
assume) the base of the tower is stuck in the mud, the end 60 feet away will
be a high impedance, not a ground.

>Another option would be to run a wire or wires down the tower that are
>solidly connected to the ground lug on the vertical, maybe the ends of these
>could be connected to ground rod(s)? Possibly some combination or all of the
>above?

Again you will run into the same problem. The length of the ground lead will
modify the impedance and raise it. You would be much better off to have the
wires attach to the tower at the top, and fan out slightly at the bottom and
be insulated from the tower! The wires would be open at the bottom and
present a low impedance at the top, like very droopy radials from a ground
plane.

> Elevated radials in huge numbers would be cool, but then I would be
>back where I started, not to mention the beam would be in the way.

The beam acts like a ground for the vertical also, even though it isn't
really big enough on 80, it'll help. I'd add the skirt system.

By the way, this is why sloppers don't alwways work. Sometimes the "ground"
is a real high impedance. Remember the rules of transmission lines, the same
rules apply to single wires also.

73 Tom