Kenwood's marketing

Subject: Kenwood's marketing
From: ky1h@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Wed Jun 12 21:36:44 1996
here is Kenwood's reply to my supportive message about their
new marketing strategy.

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html

From: gejones@whale.st.usm.edu (Gary E. Jones) (Gary E. Jones)
Subject: No subject

I want to pass along some personal experiences that I have recently had
relating to Kenwood Electronics.

Let me begin by saying that I have been an exclusive HF Kenwood user for 15
years. I am an absolute believer in their products. They are great contest
and dxing radios. In addition, I am heavily Kenwood oriented in part because
20 or 25 years ago, their chief competitor in the overseas amateur radio
market was selling and marketing their radio products to non-amateur radio
communicators, and I have never forgiven that company for their marketing
through that market.

I have owned at least one TS-520, 820, 830, 430, 950, and 950SD.

I went to Dayton in 1995 expecting to walk away with a lot less money in my
pocket having bought a new top of the line fully digital/DSP Kenwood radio
which I was reasonably sure would be on display at the Kenwood booth.
Surprise, no radio. I felt that Kenwood would be introducing a new radio to
more effectively compete with the FT-1000D (a pretty good radio). I was
politely, but firmly told that there was no new 900 series radio for 1995.

I went back to Dayton this year in 1996 quite certain again that I would buy
a radio if one was available. Yaesu had introduced the 1000MP and Kenwood
had introduced the 870 fully DSP radio and I assume that a fully DSP top of
the line radio (true dual receiver, contester, dxer optimized) would be
available. Nothing on display, and when I asked the Kenwood salesman to talk
to me about a radio, I got what I consider a rude and unacceptable response
from him. He looked in my face blankly and told me that there was no new
radio on the horizon and that the 950 SDx was the "product of the future" as
far as Kenwood was concerned. I told him that in my opinion that the
FT-1000D was probably a better radio and I was amazed that they were
sticking with the 950 since it was clearly time for a new radio from
Kenwood. I indicated I would buy such a radio immediately if it was
available. He looked back blankly and repeated that there was no new
top-of-the-line radio on the drawing boards and that the 950 was the radio
of the future, and if I felt that the FT-1000D was a better radio, then I
should actively consider buying one........

That is a very effective marketing philosophy. A friend of mine who was also
considering the purchase of a new Kenwood radio and was standing there with
me couldn't believe the attitude of the salesman.

We now hear that Kenwood is going to start dumping radios to the CB and
trucker shop market. There is the implication that there may be a vast
warehouse of unused and unsold amateur gear that needs to be liquidated. Now
there is the official pronouncement of Kenwood that amateur radio is
apparently in decline and they need to consider other options to increase
their sales.

I would suggest that one reason there may be flat sales of the upper tier of
equipment is that they really have not introduced a state-of-the-art radio
for a very long time, and if they did introduce a competitive radio, they
might begin selling HF equipment again, at least to me.

                                Gary Jones, W5VSZ