FD Highlights

Subject: FD Highlights
From: foggie@dtx.net (foggie)
Date: Thu Jun 20 05:55:40 1996
Here are some of my observations on both my local club effort and my own.

1)  Noone else around here knows what CONTEST means. :) CW is twice the point va
lue
       but they want to give the beam to a SSB station after I had held a freq f
or
       over an hour. Then the trap dipole I hook up to is a better dummy load th
an
       antenna. 1 more hour yields only 5 Q's on 40 meters.

2)  Have a good plan, and a backup, and a backup to the backup. I had planned on

       running a solid contest effort during FD with the local club. I was ....
       dismayed to find they used commercial power, did not take it serious, and
       never planned on submitting logs. Ended up having to cobble together an e
ffort
       from my back yard.

3)  FD is a contest. I think personally it is one of the best ones to initiate n
ew
       contesters. I have been out of radio for over 10 years since I joined the
 army
       and went overseas 10 years ago. once I returned last year I began to get
       reinterested and finally got off my behind and got the ticket back just i
       time for WPX. Finally got enough rig to actually run a freq in time for F
D.
       There was some interest generated so maybe some of the locals will start
       contesting. Not a good thing as most of them are single and dont have a f
amily
       to support in addition to contesting so I will probably be blown off the
       charts in coming contests. :)

4) ya gots ta have a beam. All I have at home are wires, and I could tell the
       difference. I am putting up a 30 foot tower and 3el tribander as soon as
       can find the other 2 sections of tower. (30 foot plus mast is about all I
 can
       get away with in military housing unfortunately)

As always, have fun, and see you in the next contest.

Al - KK5ZX
E-Mail: foggie@dtx.net            | Snail-Mail: Allen Fogleson
                                  |             Fort Polk, La 71459
This message was sent by XF-Mail free of charge, and is 100% microsoft free!
For more information on remaining microsoft free try http://www.redhat.com/