WRTC FUN! Ya'll come back now....hear?

Subject: WRTC FUN! Ya'll come back now....hear?
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 15 20:55:43 1996
It was great to see the multi-national flavor in WRTC ...TEAMS with hearts of
Lions...duking it out to see who the "Top Gun's" were...and nice to hear the
excitement of all the many stations who participated....HOWEVER...I'd like to
see you all back next year...for IARU!  This is a great contest for keeping
your skills polished or or inviting newcomers to the sport. There is no big
pressure and everyone works everyone so basically its a CQ primer...albeit a
short primer. Why not plan to work IARU next year and envite the local who
may have an interest...or that terminal tech who shows promise?? Perhaps a
multi single or just sit back and let the newbie single op your
station.....But put it on the calendar! Please!

We who are fortunate enough to operate from W1AW take the contest very
seriously. Its like working from 4U1UN in a DX test..YOU ARE A MULTIPLIER!
;-) but not too far away from home! Please join us again next year!

While I'm writing...Please pass along thanks to K1ZZ who has seen the wisdom
in allowing some SuperStations to represent the US in a DX contest using the
league call...W1AW....From Newington it is just a great call sign...From a
REAL Superstation it is AWESOME!  I received my 1st sob story ( "been a ham
30 years and NEVER even heard W1AW..Thanks for the Q!") about an hour into
the contest and got 12 such storys during the test. Contesting from Newington
is fun but they haven't got a 3 stack on 20 at 200'! Lets urge Dave to keep
it going and perhaps find new ways or ideas to improve our score in the HQ
class.  My two cents worth is dividing the responsibilities up between two
SuperStations. One takes SSB...the other CW.  For example; N2RM on phone and
W3LPL on CW or vise versa.

Speaking of LPL.... What a great host! The hospitality from Frank and the
PVRC crew assembled was terrific!  True fraternalism at its best!  A team of
at least 15 ops, who would normally be at each others throats, worked well
together because all we had to do was operate. No set up...just walk in an
hour before the contest and sit down....plug your Heil in and GO!  OOOOOOOH
baby...What an antenna farm!

                                     Thanks for a great weekend!

                                      73 de Doug // N3ADL // FRC

>From ND3A@cais.cais.com (Rob Shapiro - ND3A)  Tue Jul 16 07:36:57 1996
It was great to see the multi-national flavor in WRTC ...TEAMS with hearts of
Lions...duking it out to see who the "Top Gun's" were...and nice to hear the
excitement of all the many stations who participated....HOWEVER...I'd like to
see you all back next year...for IARU!  This is a great contest for keeping
your skills polished or or inviting newcomers to the sport. There is no big
pressure and everyone works everyone so basically its a CQ primer...albeit a
short primer. Why not plan to work IARU next year and envite the local who
may have an interest...or that terminal tech who shows promise?? Perhaps a
multi single or just sit back and let the newbie single op your
station.....But put it on the calendar! Please!

We who are fortunate enough to operate from W1AW take the contest very
seriously. Its like working from 4U1UN in a DX test..YOU ARE A MULTIPLIER!
;-) but not too far away from home! Please join us again next year!

While I'm writing...Please pass along thanks to K1ZZ who has seen the wisdom
in allowing some SuperStations to represent the US in a DX contest using the
league call...W1AW....From Newington it is just a great call sign...From a
REAL Superstation it is AWESOME!  I received my 1st sob story ( "been a ham
30 years and NEVER even heard W1AW..Thanks for the Q!") about an hour into
the contest and got 12 such storys during the test. Contesting from Newington
is fun but they haven't got a 3 stack on 20 at 200'! Lets urge Dave to keep
it going and perhaps find new ways or ideas to improve our score in the HQ
class.  My two cents worth is dividing the responsibilities up between two
SuperStations. One takes SSB...the other CW.  For example; N2RM on phone
and
W3LPL on CW or vise versa.

Speaking of LPL.... What a great host! The hospitality from Frank and the
PVRC crew assembled was terrific!  True fraternalism at its best!  A team of
at least 15 ops, who would normally be at each others throats, worked well
together because all we had to do was operate. No set up...just walk in an
hour before the contest and sit down....plug your Heil in and GO!  OOOOOOOH
baby...What an antenna farm!

                                     Thanks for a great weekend!

                                      73 de Doug // N3ADL // FRC

----------End of Original Message----------
Hi Doug!  I agree with you 100%.  I always enjoy operating at Frank's, but this
was a pleasant surprise.  I had to keep kicking myself when I would look around
the shack and see all the PVRC and FRC members working a contest together!
It was enjoyable seeing the various gab (ALT-G for CT users) messages.  I also
had a first - venison chili, care of Jack, WB4NFS.  It was awesome, baby!

Maybe in some future contest, top contesters from around the world could be
chosen to operate at one superstation.  It would be a one-sided all star game
for
the contesters.  Think of the score potential!

73 and congrats to everyone, Rob

Rob Shapiro - ND3A
Potomac Valley Radio Club
Internet: nd3a@cais.com