RF Exposure limits

Subject: RF Exposure limits
From: ky1h@berkshire.net (David Robbins)
Date: Mon Aug 5 22:39:48 1996
Hans Brakob wrote:

> (B)   Limits for General Population/Uncontrolled Exposure
>
> Frequency     Electric Field          Magnetic Field
> Range         Strength    Strength    Power Density
>
> (MHz)         (V/m)       (A/m)       (mW/cm2)    (minutes)
>
> 0.3-1.34      614         1.63        (100)*          30
> 1.34-30       824/f       2.19/f      (180/f2)*       30
> 30-300        27.5        0.073       0.2             30
> 300-1500      --          --          f/1500          30
> 1500-100,000  --          --          1.0             30
> f = frequency in MHz
> * = Plane-wave equivalent power density

before we all go running off to dust off old text books and slide
rules, or to buy frequency sensitive voltmeters can someone give
us a plain language breakdown in amateur terms about what these
mean?  maybe a table with some typical antennas at typical heights?
in particular maybe some monobanders at 30, 60, and 100' at a distance
of 50', 100', 1/4mi?  and some low band ants like an inverted v and
ground mounted vertical might be nice.  probably the most restrictive
would be the vhf/uhf yagis, so some general examples of them would
probably be good.  i'm sure we can all scale them for different gains
of yagis and power levels, and its probably only the main lobes of
the yagis that will matter so it shouldn't be too big of a project for
someone with the proper program.

some basic questions that are not obvious from the tables need to
be answered also... like what is the time period, 6 or 30 min/day??
or that long at a time, then time to 'cool off'???  also, are all
the field strengths and power densities really the same, or would
different limits be reached first in different circumstances, like
near the base of a 160m vertical would you reach the e field limit
first or are they just different ways of stating the same power level?

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html