to choose or not to choose a vanity call

Subject: to choose or not to choose a vanity call
From: WA2QNW@aol.com (WA2QNW@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 3 02:28:15 1996
Ive been lurking the boards on this subject and have some observations:
do you really believe that a "good DX" call makes it easier to win contests??

Everyone posting a message about getting a   great call   already has a
better call than I do  WA2QNW.   Everyone is trying to decide if a U. is
better than a V and if an   A is better than an 8   DOES IT REALLY MATTER
????

this is not the same as vanity license plates   cute or easy plates dont win
any prize.

I've also been thinking about if I shud consider a call change but some
thoughts ar
I hold an advanced license so the gate is still not open
I dont operate CW in the contests
My "N" sometimes gets heard as "M"  until I remember to use NORWAY (not
NOVEMBER)
and my WA2QNW  all is quite long and makes the DX stop his cadence and think
about what he's hearing.

BUT

since 1962 Ive had the same call    its me!!!  AND
I've managed to finish at the top of the 2nd call area and in the top U.S.10
 in every cqww/phone contest as single op/ single band for the past 8 years
and  I certainly dont have a SUPER contest station.

Look at the published results....long call letters able to score better than
shorter ones!!   forget power/equipment and forget antennas..they are equaled
out with the quality of the operator and propagation and we all know the prop
in the south U.S. demands that is the place to operate from.

Why is it so important to focus on a 'GOOD DX CALL"  when we all know that
the best operator wins with whatever equipment he uses regardless of his what
his call !!

I enjoy reading all the postings and I know its fun to talk about (especially
when there is no prop)   but com'mon its the operator at the mike or key
thats in wins...not his call.

Any bets that most of the new super short and perfectly listenable call will
not bring a higher relative score ????

Chuck Tames
WA2QNW   quicky nooky wacker
wa2qnw@aol.com