suscribe

Subject: suscribe
From: dons@win.bright.net (dons)
Date: Tue Sep 10 21:46:41 1996
suscribe

>From 0006008716@mcimail.com (Doug Grant)  Wed Sep 11 03:16:00 1996
From: 0006008716@mcimail.com (Doug Grant) (Doug Grant)
Subject: TS-940 Problem Responses

Yup. This reflector is *the* place to go for info. Contesters know
everything.

About 25 people contacted me. Half had suggestions for the "display
only shows dots, radio neither transmits nor receives" problems. The
other half asked me to forward the answer, since they had the same
problem (some occasionally, some all the time).

The apparent cure is to wiggle the 6-wire connector that goes into the
right side of the Digital A board. This came from several sources. Others
suggested re-seating the IC in the IC2 position on Digital A (there is
a Kenwood mod that includes soldering a wire to the ground pin of this
IC and really nailing it to ground).

This was a thread (here, I think) some time ago. KE1FO captured it and
it is on his Web page, for those of you who need more info (http://tiac.

oops...

http://www/tiac/net/users/ke6ber   (KE1FO's old call...guess he hasn't
gotten one of those new Vanity URLs yet - is the gate open yet?)

Others suggested various things resembling major surgery, including
switches to short various things momentarily, melting things, re-tweaking
various things, etc. These have been necessary for some guys.

Thanks to Dave, N0IT, who faxed several pages of helpful suggestions.

Good luck to all you other guys who are having the same problem!

Doug K1DG

p.s. there is appraently a Kenwood ftp site with some of this stuff on it
at ftp.kenwood.net, but I haven't checked it out yet.

p.p.s. after jiggling connectors, plugging IC2 out and in, and extensive
use of colorful language, my 940 is still stoned. THe LCD display back-
light is also out. Not to re-kindle another old thread, but thank you, UPS.
THe radio will be given about another hour's worth of monkeying around,
it will go to a local repair shop within driving distance where an hour
or two of an expert's time will fix these things and replace the noisy
fan too. I just don't have the time. THen I go looking for a clean used 781.