Ethically Challenged?

Subject: Ethically Challenged?
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 15 13:09:45 1996
Hi Mike - Great Question....sorry I didn't see your posting before the
Hamfest yesterday I would have enjoyed discussing this topic at our club
meeting....but then again I had my hands full of anchovie laden pizza and
Budweiser.

Your sorting of the log to spot inconsistencies is a great way for you to
spot areas where you need work. I have done something similar with simulators
and no matter when I take the test, it seems the letters s and h when sent
QRQ are my cw nemsisses (sai/si/sies).

Whether or not you should change your log prior to submission is the question
at hand...how much can we do to a log after 23:59:59 zulu and attribute the
fix to typos...and how much of the massaging is in effect an enhancing our
true operator abilities?

For a while I was doing absolutely nothing to my log, period.  Then I
softened a little after loosing credit for a Sprint QSO with W1WEF where I
keyed in his name I typo'd and had enterred Jacl (not Jack)...it was an
obvious typo on my part (I don't think the name jacl exists....BUT!.....if we
are indeed copying what was sent to us then the log as keyed in is a record
of that.

As a poor typist I have caved to the point where I do a quick lookover of the
log to see if there are any Jacl's...one thing I missed last year in the SS
was that I had enterred one guys call as <space>AD4VH (I forget exactly who
it was) and with the space in front the software did NOT pick it up as a dupe
but as a new call and scored it.  ARRL caught it though.

The competition takes place in real time and the outcome of your checking
your log after the fact does have the potential for really alterring your
your score.

Do you want to bend the rules and operate more hours than the contest allows?
 This is what massaging your log means to me...it is in essence operating
time after you have used yours up.  I allow myself the check for typos, and
this I personally feel comfortable with.  I however will NOT change something
like an SS QSO number from N6TR that is lower than mine, even though I know
Tree is obviously ahead of me at whatever time.

In my humble opinion (excuse me, thats IMHO) those who pick apart their logs
after the contest and prior to submission are doing more than a
massage....they are going all the way!

Contesting in its purist, and best, form is an opportunity to push ones own
envelope - I would continue to analyze your logs...they are your best
opportunity to learn where YOU can improve your efforts.  Ideally the
competition is YOURSELF, and success is an opportunity to enjoy Kicking Your
Own Ass.

Good luck with your tower!

73

Jim,

K1ZX (for a lil while longer....what were your 610V picks?)