Keyers

Subject: Keyers
From: jmellis@ihug.co.nz (Martin Ellis)
Date: Thu Nov 14 07:49:58 1996
> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 W8JITom@aol.com wrote:
>
> I have a question about sending CW in a contest.
> What is the preferred method of sending a serial number?
> Is a long "T" preferred for a zero, or an "O"?
> Thanks, TomW8JI@AOL.com

Hello Tom,
Good morning from New Zealand.

Here in ZL, the use of the long T died out some years ago when
operators started to use iambic paddles (bencher).  The long T
can only be sent by a hand key or a bug key. Today I think
that it would just confuse people.

The leading 0's in a serial number can be suppressed.
For the CQ WPX contest:-
        eg:     599 001 can be sent as  5nn 1
                599 099                 5nn 99
                599 100                 5nn 100

BTW, in our ZL field day contest, our exchange includes
our NZART Branch number, which in my case is 02.
We always send that as O2.

        eg:     ZL2TT ur 5nn 123/O2
To my way of thinking, the dadada can always be substituted for
a zero.  After all, when you write it in the log the _Oh_ looks
like a zero anyway.

The other point, is the way that the contest software has been
programmed which the contest station is using.
I suppose that if you are sending with TR, CT or NA
that you send what the program generates.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Martin ZL1ANJ
< jmellis@ihug.co.nz >