Vanity Fee Refund Received

Subject: Vanity Fee Refund Received
From: Jastaples@aol.com (Jastaples@aol.com)
Date: Wed Nov 27 12:11:37 1996
For those who are seeking a refund of their fee for a rejected Vanity
Callsign application this may be of interest.

We filed for a new callsign for our Club contest station under Gate 2.
Unfortunately, an over eager U.S. Postal Service delivered it on Friday prior
to the opening of Gate 2. The FCC promptly responded with a Notice of
Dismissal. It was dated Oct. 30 (a week after the gate opened.) The fee had
been accepted and banked. No instuctions were included as to the exact
"means" of applying for a refund..

A call to the FCC resulted in advice to "send a letter requesting a refund
including a SS number and the FCC file number rubber stamped on the orignal
610V form". NO special FCC form was needed.

We sent a letter to the FCC dated Oct. 18 with the requisite information. The
check for $30 arrived Nov. 18th.

As a further observation.

I understand from another source that along with his electronic 610V filing
under Gate 2, made several weeks after the gate was opened, he paid the fee
by using a Credit Card and Form 159 mailed in to the FCC. He just got his
Credit Card statement and the fee was already listed as a debit.

Obviously, the priority is with collecting fees...  not with servicing the
customer!

73, Joe, W5ASP