Drawing the Line

Subject: Drawing the Line
From: ke1fo@contesting.com (Alfred J. Frugoli)
Date: Wed Dec 4 14:48:10 1996
I think that with phone and CW contesting, copying by ear should be a
requirement.  But contesting already has it's "robots".  RTTY is copied
by a machine, the radio can be tuned by the computer, the rotor can be
moved by the computer, the exchange can be copied, logged, exchange
sent, and QRZ for the next QSO.  And nobody can tell weather it is a
robot or not when you work the station.  The exchange looks the same,
etc.  The only give away of robots on RTTY is that they usually CQ on
one frequency for hours and hours on end, sometimes the whole contest.
These robots don't win contests....yet.

I don't knwo where we draw the line, and even more difficult, HOW do we
draw that line.  Experimenters should be allowed to experiment, and
contest, but in their own class?  Amateur radio contesting will need to
address this issue sooner or later, maybe we should take care of it
sooner and be prepared.
--
Al, KE1FO, ex. KE6BER    mailto:ke1fo@contesting.com or ke6ber@tiac.net
Check out my web page, http://www.tiac.net/users/ke6ber for summaries