No CW????????

Subject: No CW????????
From: KS6Z@sprynet.com (Dan Keefe)
Date: Wed Dec 4 16:30:38 1996
Dan Robbins wrote:

> At 03:03 PM 12/4/96 -0600, Bob Scott wrote:
> >Would you detest someone who fishes with a cane pole and
> >worms in a farm pond, when
> >you think they should be in a $28,000 Ranger boat on Lake Erie?
> >Sorry, but I don't agree.....Bob
> >
> No, but I do detest someone who buys a trout at the local supermarket and
> then claims to be a fisherman.
>
> I agree with W5HVV.  No-code is just plain no good for our hobby.
>
>                                 Dan KL7Y
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The No Code license serves a purpose.  It sells a lot of memberships in
the ARRL and it sells a bunch of 2 meter radios... once.

It has also emptied the novice band on forty meters CW.

As a former Marine I can honestly say that it is the equivalent of
closing down the MCRD at Parris Island, S.C.   DUMB!!!

Dan Keefe
ks6z

From: zpitman@rs3.szif.hu (Pitman Zoltan) (Pitman Zoltan)
Subject: A little help

On Wed, 4 Dec 1996 WJ2O@AOL.COM wrote:

> 2.)  Where is EM1KA?  I worked him as 3DA0DX and J3/WJ2O and he
>       reported zone 13?

He is Roman (ex 4K2OT) from an Ukrainian Research Base from Antarctica.

> 3.) HV7A must not be in the Vatican if he gave me zone 35.  Where is he?

"HV7A" is 5V7A, Woodoo Contest Group operation from  Togo. Via GM4AGL

73s

Zoli HA1AG

From: bernie.mcclenny@mail.wdn.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR) (Bernie McClenny,
W3UR)
Subject: CQ-WW-DX-CW 1996 experience

Istvan.Bogyo@mdc.hu wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> The first time in my ham radio career on Sunday, November 24 I felt I am
> going to throw everything out of the window (I live on the 14th
> floor...), burn all my precious QSLs and forget about amateur radio. Ten
> days later I am calm and even look for DX, but I think I have to share
> this with you.
>
> The reason of being uuuuppppset (=mad) was the behaviour of the several
> hundred PacketCluster (TM) users who worked the 160 meters band Saturday
> night. Although I got five new ones (3C, 9Y, J3, KC6 and XX9), several
> other QSOs (HS0AC, 4V2A, etc.) have been ruined by the herds of
> Europeans who seemed to forget to use their receivers, and have been
> calling and calling and calling. This "calling contest" was something
> that I was not prepared for! HS0AC for example, could not make a single
> contact in 6 minutes, because every time he called someone, like DL7??
> DL7?? agn agn BK, at least two hundred stations felt like having a
> callsign similar to DL7??. Even if he got a full call, like UX0UN UX0UN
> 59926 59926 BK, the same herd called him for minutes.
>
> Top Band has always been the "gentlemen's band", so I would like to have
> your input on how can we do something against this behaviour.
>
> 73 es DX
>
> Steve HA0DU

Steve, Unfortunately the same thing goes on hear in the "Good ole USA".
Maybe we should post the calls of the stations who do this.  It not only
happens in contests.  It happens with DXpeditions and other normal packet
spots.  I think the person who does it needs to be told what they did and why
it is wrong!

Which reminds me about someone who did this to me in CQ WW CW on 15 meters
while I was @ W3LPL.  I will have to get his e-mail address and send him a
note.  I know this call was mult-op so it must have been one of them and not
the station owner.  de Bernie

--
Bernie McClenny W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)

Norms Rotor Service
http://www.tiac.net/users/shiacawn/rotors
301-874-5885

From: kw4t@erols.com (Dan Weisenburger) (Dan Weisenburger)
Subject: So how do the "All Wire" guys succeed?

Here at KW4T it's now 100% wire.  The lot is approx 1 acre with over 200
trees.  Although I can put up a 100 foot tower here, the trees are
taller.

I have a system consisting of a fullwave loop horizontally at 105 feet
(usually) as the permanent antenna for 40 meters.

Before each contest I hang more wire and feedline in various
configurations.

For the WPX I hung two delta loops - great for really long haul DX

For CQWW SSB I ran 3 legs of a four square (ran out of wire, money, and
feedline, and time) through my first attempt at phase switching.

Although I mostly work 40  for SS I used the 40 horizontal loop on all
bands.

The rigs are #1:  TS-940S/AT    100 Watts
             #2:  Drake TR-7    100 Watts
             #3:  Heath SS-9000 (Great for RTTY) 100 watts
             #4:  Heathkit HW-8 w/1 Watt Output

I don't set the world on fire with my signal and I do a lot of S&P (so
much in fact, the knob on the front of the 940 blistered during the CQWW)

The land is downhill in all directions from the house with the high point
about 30 feet AMSL and the back drops quickly to the creek which is at
Sea Level.

73 From Lake Moneysgone, Dan - KW4T

From: blunt@arrl.org (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R) (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R)
Subject: 10 Meter Contest Free Zone

There has been some discussion about the ARRL 10-Meter Contest rule change
concerning the "Contest Free Zone" because of a recent change in the rules
in Argentina to permit their Novices to operate in this segment, as well as
higher in the band. The ARRL contest rule change was made effective with the
1995 contest, before the change was made in Argentina. The contest rules
state "The frequencies from 28.3 through 28.35 MHz are designated as a
noncontest window. (This means that stations may not call CQ contest in this
window.)"

If you're participating in the contest, you can't call "CQ Contest" between
28.3 and 28.35. That's quite clear, but there's no prohibition against
answering someone else's "CQ Contest" in the window. They shouldn't be
soliciting contacts on those frequencies either if they are planning to
enter the contest, but if they are just DXing and are not planning to send
in a log, there's nothing to penalize them for. You won't incur any penalty
or risk by answering them, any more than you would if you coaxed a ragchewer
into giving you a point. On the other hand, if you are competing don't try
to get around the rule by using "QRZed contest" or something similar instead
of "CQ"; this would be in clear violation of the intent of the rule and you
would  be risking disqualification from the contest.

A rules change can always be considered for next year, based on whatever our
experience is this year.

73,

Billy Lunt, KR1R
Contest Manager, ARRL
860-594-0252
kr1r@arrl.org
blunt@arrl.org

From: blunt@arrl.org (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R) (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R)

Frank,

You can work another station in the zone if they are calling CQ, etc, but
you should QSY after you complete the contact. Staying in the CFZ puts you
in risk of disqualification.

73,

Billy Lunt, KR1R
Contest Manager, ARRL
860-594-0252
kr1r@arrl.org
blunt@arrl.org

 ----------

From: blunt@arrl.org (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R) (Lunt, Billy,  KR1R)

Andrew,

If you are participating in the 10-Meter Contest, you can not call CQ, etc,
from 28.3 to 28.35 MHz. This is a Contest Free Zone.

73,

Billy Lunt, KR1R
Contest Manager, ARRL
860-594-0252
kr1r@arrl.org
blunt@arrl.org

 ----------

From: alltrom@bx.logicnet.ro (ALLTROM) (ALLTROM)
Subject: Drawing the line/comments

From: Mike, YO3CTK

Pete Smith, N4ZR has recently posted some very interesting comments =
about technological advances which can essentially change the fundaments =
of radiosport. Although I agree with his opinion that new technology, =
permitting to fully automate a contest station is either already here or =
will be in the near future, I cannot see any analogy in sailboat or =
Formula 1 racing. It is to be mentioned that both above mentioned sports =
enjoy very big cash prizes. In contrast, radio contesters could (at =
best) get recognition from amateur community, therefore are supposedly =
contesting for fun. Moreover, Formula 1 racing cars are carefully =
examined by contest officials for conformance with contest rules. It is =
difficult to imagine how a contest organizer could possibly enforce any =
rules. Output power outside license limitation, team operation entered =
as SO and cluster violations come to mind. One possible exception: =
operating outside band plans, although I don't recall any =
disqualification due to this reason.

Because Amateur Radio is a self-regulating activity, I believe that =
every amateur should draw the proverbial line in the sand for =
him/herself. In my book, letting machines to compete against each other =
is not only ludicrous, it is against any idea of sport (as a competition =
of HUMAN skills and capabilities). If a line should be drawn, it must =
involve the capability of the human operator to decode the information =
content of the message by him/herself. If, for instance, the operator =
must decode a callsign / exchange with the "neural processor" and then =
use the keyboard to log the contact, it is a sport, regardless of how =
many devices he/she is using to enhance the signal, predict band =
openings and so forth. If this critical step is performed by some =
machine, then it is merely a highly sophisticated communication system.

Unfortunately, I have no doubts whatsoever that some fellow contesters =
will feel motivated enough to draw the line farther than me or not at =
all. But they should consider the real value of their achievements and =
if they really enjoy watching their machines competing against each =
other. After all, we are all doing this for fun.

Thank you for the bandwidth.

73 de Mike, YO3CTK

alltrom@bx.logicnet.ro

From: duerbusc@MO.NET (Joseph J. Duerbusch K0BX) (Joseph J. Duerbusch K0BX)
Subject: CQWW SSBLogs - Thanks Help

A couple of days ago I resent my CQWW SSB logs to ssb@cqww.com.  This
was in reply to their message saying the my log had gotten erased.

The logs came back saying address unknown.  I put out a help message
here on the reflector and got many many responses to my request for
help.  I just want to thank everyone for their input.

The problem was that being lazy I just "Forward" my original E-Mailing
of my logs.  Guess the ssb@cqww.com didnt like that.  When I did it
over, putting the summary in the e-mail and attaching the bin file, all
worked well.

Again Thanks
PS I enjoyed the mail on Vanity Calls (my vanity call was issued 18
years ago) and also enjoy the "long" accounts of some of the big contest
stations.

--
Joe Duerbusch K0BX St. Louis MO
jduerbusch@mdc.com at work

http://www.qrz.com/cgi-bin/qrz_gifs?k0bx.gif

From: HWDX09A@prodigy.com ( ROBERT   REED) ( ROBERT   REED)

Billy,

Number One big question for you.  Are we to understand that the ARRL
will finally listen to the activity during a contest and determine
who is calling CQ within the CFZ. Who will be the official listeners ?

I've provided you with lists of rules violators in SS every year who
spot themselves on packet, use spots for new mults, proclaimed their
clean sweep and ALL claimed to be single ops. I think the one year
only W2UP admitted to using packet and being a multiop.

Maybe there are plans in the works but as I've said before. Forget
rules that have no means of enforcement or no intentions of the
sponsor to enforce.

____

 73,   Bob Reed,  W2CE,  ex WB2DIN
       1991 Route 37 West - Lot 109
       Toms River, New Jersey  08757

From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher) (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Subject: Cross Posting

I also think cross-posting of contest stories to both reflectors is a good
idea. Here's why:

The 3830 refelctor does NOT have the capability to SET NOMAIL. I'm
not usually interested in the results of minor contests, and do have
some quotas on the amount of email I receive. Therefore I unsubscribe
from 3830 EXCEPT around the major contests. If Randy's great writeup
only gets posted to 3830, I'd miss it.

So until the 3830 reflector can accept SET NOMAIL commands, I'd vote
for cross-posting anything that includes more than a simple summary sheet.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com