No CW????????

Subject: No CW????????
From: w1hij@contesting.com (w1hij@contesting.com)
Date: Thu Dec 5 10:50:12 1996
Bob,

Amen---

Not only that but even if someone gets past the 5 WPM test, how are they
supposed to find enough slow speed cw qso's to get better. I've been haunting
the 40 m novice band lately just to see what's out there. If I hear three
stations at once I'm surprised.

Suggestion---

I remember back in the "old days" (I got my novice license as WN1HIJ in 1954)
that one of the ways I got better at CW was participation in the slow speed
New England tfc net.

How about a "slow speed net" with some real content interest so that people
have a reason besides "studying" to improve their speed in a real
environment. For example, after check in, the contents of ZD's story could be
transmitted or other material of interest. If some of us who have some little
contest experience and dx'ing experience were willing to share that on the
air, it would be a great benefit to all and sundry. (Also it would
demonstrate that the ability to use CW as a communication medium does not
revolve around answering multiple choice questions).

I sure know that I'd take the trouble to find the net if I thought that I
might get the opportunity to read the mail or participate in a conversation
involving the likes of ZD, ZO, LPL, KO(Trey) and so forth.

Anybody interested in helping to organize it and get it on the air???

If we want operators we have to train them. Once a year field day isn't
enough.

de Bill, W1HIJ (LA)

smscompany@gnn.com