Contest computer CMOS battery failure

Subject: Contest computer CMOS battery failure
From: 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu (00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 9 07:57:21 1996
Well, I thought I would use my computer to log for the first time!
When I booted it up, I got a "CMOS battery low" message - and had to
scramble for a couple of hours to find the parameters to enter to retrieve
stuff from my hard drive - good old paper and pencil were used.

Anyway, instead of paying $12.95 + tax for a new battery, I figure I can
make a battery pack (the lithium battery say 3.6 volts) with either two
or three AA or C cells for practically nothing.  Have any of you used
3volts or 4.5 volts?  I ASSUME (no schematic, of course) that the battery
has an isolating diode on the motherboard so that the exact voltage isn't
crucial, but thought I would check with the experts.

Thanks

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9
00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu