[CQ-Contest] Control Op in Contest?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Control Op in Contest?
From: wa1uar@eecorp.com (Michael A. McCarthy)
Date: Wed Mar 5 12:39:54 1997
> From:          Ward Silver <hwardsil@wolfenet.com>
> To:            contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
> Subject:       Re: [CQ-Contest] Control Op in Contest?

> > Isn't all of this technically irrelevant in a DX contest due to the Third
> > Party rules? (Assuming you are a US licensed station/operator).
> >
> > snip
> >
> > When a licensed ham exceeds their class priveledges, they are
> > treated exactly the same as if they held no license at all, and become a 3rd
> > party. Are these statements true or false?
> >
> > Mike  K7NT
>
> Right you are!  I nearly ran afoul of the "unlicensed op'r/third-part"
> rules when operating with my sons and one of their friends during an ARRL
> DX contest.  Luckily, I avoided QSOs with Europe and Asia, concentrating
> on South America and the Caribbean (the conditions helped make this any
> easy strategy) where third-party agreements are common.
>
> Technically, they need to have a copy of the third-party list with them
> and should only work those countries.

By the book, an unlicensed op cannot be the "control" operator.  A
fully licensed individual must be present and in "control" at all
times. An unlicensed individual or one using priviledges beyond
his/her license may make contacts only with US or countries
that have a valid third party agreement.

Mike, W1NR