[CQ-Contest] ts-830s-one last cw filter query.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ts-830s-one last cw filter query.
From: devon6@voicenet.com (R. Sigismonti)
Date: Wed Mar 19 00:02:17 1997
> > Also, although I am not a big time CW contester, I believe the
> > consensus I have heard from those who are is that 250/270 Hz
> > filters are just too narrow for contesting. The sentiment is that
> > the passband is too narrow to effectively search it for answers
> > while CQing, and similarly, the passband is too narrow to allow
> > reasonable tuning speed while S&Ping.
>
> I forgot to mention that contesters have slightly different needs vis
> a viz filtering than do DXers, and that there are likely to be
> different opinions on this, but generally you will not be happy with
> a 250, is my prediction.

I would generally classify myself as a CW contester & I would die on
40M CW (were I usually do the chores at N3RS) without my 250 Hz
cascaded filters.  I don't have the ears of some of the younger guys
that can listen to 500 Hz or even more and do the sorting between the
ear pads.  My suggestion is to buy a rx with 500 & 250 Hz filters and
a switch to select either/or.  That way you will never be
disappointed.

73 de Sig, N3RS
devon6@voicenet.com