[CQ-Contest] WPX tactics advice reqd - GW7J/GW0GEI Single Op

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX tactics advice reqd - GW7J/GW0GEI Single Op
From: steve@rjtrain.demon.co.uk (Steve Jones)
Date: Sat Mar 22 20:53:56 1997
Hi All,
I am hoping to have a go in CQ WPX SSB, using special contest club call
GW7J, and would be grateful for any advice on tactics/category for
single op. This is my first year of serious entries in HF contests and I
am entering most contests this season to see if I like them. (So far I
like them ALL, but my wife doesn't :))

I have read the rules for WPX and have noted the new categories
introduced last year. My basic queries are as follows:

1/ I have a 2 ele Gem Quad, Butternut HF2v, and dipoles, so I guess I
should enter the tribander/single elementr class. Were there many
entries last year?

2/I have a TL922 amp and so am now a bit louder than my first contest of
the season (WAE with 100w!), and I will also be using GW7J call (not
many with GW7 prefix even if each club with call in Wales is active), so
should I just try and run on each band, or should I concentrate mainly
on search and pounce?

I am still enjoying reading the mail on this reflector (especially the
long reports from people like K5ZD, which I find very illuminating). I
realise that its a competitive part of the hobby, and not everyone is
willing to divulge their favourite tactics, but I would like to see more
reports on the reflector from the big guns/successful low power ops, as
they are very helpful to people like me who are trying to climb up that
learning curve.

Any other useful advice regarding the WPX contest will be appreciated.
I've heard its a blast of a contest with tremendous pile ups. Just the
practice I need for the multi op entry I am organising from the island
here for IOTA 97!
73, es thanks in anticipation, Steve
--
Steve Jones