[CQ-Contest] WPX Changes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Changes
From: csilver@riosoft.softex.br (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Date: Thu Apr 3 08:07:22 1997
At 08:51 03/04/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's my vote to keep it like it is.  The WPX has been around for almost
>40 years.  I liked it when I was running a Viking II and a Trap Doublet in
>the black hole of Wisconsin as W9SZR, and I like it now.  There is plenty
>of activity;  the saying:  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>
>More of the "find me a contest only I can win" syndrome, methinks.
>
>                                   Very 73,
>
>                                 Fred Laun, K3ZO
>
>P. S.  No opinion on the 30 vs 36 hours debate -- whatever you like is
>fine with me.
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
>Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST@contesting.com

I aggree with Fred! For me the contest is OK this way. I operated SB
80meters last weekend and found out that it is very difficult to work
european stations. The reason is: if you are not LOUD enough even your 6
points are not much since the person can work three neighboor stations
(other countries pretty close) in one minute. To work me it would be
necessary to challenge all that local QRM. I don't complain because it is a
contest and they are trying to win. I felt that some of them gave up to work
us (SA) for points reason. I refer to us in the South (PY, LU, CX, CE, ZP).

You should see the number of LU, PY and ZP complaining about 80. Most of
them stayed on the band just for a while. You wonder with domestic points
what could happen to other countries. I was able to increase a little bit my
scores due to VE and K, W, N stations (6 points for me). I think I worked
only two europeans in the entire contest.

That's only my point of view!

73,
Carlos - PY1CAS
E-mail: silver@ax.apc.org