[CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century

Subject: [CQ-Contest] contesting in the 21st century
From: gdo@aloft.micro.lucent.com (Glenn D. O'Donnell)
Date: Mon Jul 21 11:27:50 1997
> Cornelius, DF4SA writes:
>
> If that is contesting in the 21st century count me out. Of course I agree it
> would be a lot easier to update transceivers by just updating the software.
> But for all the rest - I just dont get it  - where is the fun? Or maybe it is
> a problem of defining the fun in another way. Nowadays contesting still is
> something like a SPORT event. Thats where I get the fun from. Seems like in
> the 21st century all the fun has to come from playing around with ridiculous
> software-solutions FOR EVERYTHING (even going to the john). Well seems like I
> have to leave then. Not the kind of fun I am into. I like technics but I am
> not crazy. I often read the phrase "it aint broke so dont fix it". Seems like
> one might apply this phrase to this approach of "fixing" todays contesting
> "problems" as well...?

I hope I didn't offend anyone by my "vision" of the future.  I still advocate
two fundamental concepts in contesting that should NEVER be changed:

    1. All QSOs are completely carried via the RF bands in the contest, not
       Internet, PacketCluster or any other out-of-band system.
       This is, after all, amateur RADIO.

    2. The deciphering of the incoming QSO information should ONLY be
       performed by the gray matter between the ears of the operator.

With this in mind, none of us can ignore the fact that computer technology
has, and will continue to, change the way we contest.  I believe computers,
DSP, etc should be operating aids while still requiring us to live by the
two rules above.

If someone wants to join a contest with an old Collins S-line with pencil
and paper logging, it should always be possible to do so.  I know many ops
who could still clean house with such a setup.

My "vision" for the "head"set is merely my convoluted brain trying to
apply some science fiction to contesting simply as an aid to the two
basic fundamentals.  In this case, science fiction can be science fact.
Boy, I wish I had the time to work on this idea!

> Why does nobody try to convince for example golf-players that they would have
> more fun if the played not out in the field but in a "virtual golf course"
> 100% computer controlled - just put them cyber masks on your head...

In my case, it wouldn't matter.  I'd do just as lousy on both!    :-)
I know.  I tried one of those indoor simulated courses.  I stink there too!

> Nothing personal against Glen

Nothing taken personally.  Cornelius's comments are civilized and constructive.
I hope we can keep this thread civilized and constructive.  If anyone wishes
to flame me (or anyone else), PLEASE spare the reflector and flame directly.

If it's any consolation to Cornelius and others, my station is still fairly
low-tech.  Please work me in any contest.  I guarantee I will live by the
two rules I outlined above.

73 to all de Glenn O'Donnell, K3PP       gdo@lucent.com

 -
 ---