[CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Wed Jul 16 19:46:20 1997
On 7/14/97 3:20 PM, Richard J Norton at n6aa@juno.com wrote:

>I would be interested in seeing opinions from this group posted here
>regarding contesting in general for the following:
>
>1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call stations using
>high-power, and ask them to listen for their QRP/low-power signal?

By definition, if a station uses high-power, he can't possibly be a QRP
or low-power category entrant. The question is nonsensical.

>2) If the answer to 1) is no, should there be a rule against it?

Rule against what?

>3) Should single-band category entrants move contacts and/or multipliers
>to their band from other bands?

I've heard of it being done. At issue here would be whether it grants
someone an "unfair" advantage.

The problem, as I see it, is that passing contacts from another band is
quite time-consuming. I would hazard to guess that this strategy might be
beneficial for certain multipliers, but in the long run isn't going to
produce as many Qs as running or S & P within the band.

I'd allow it, but with the standard single-operator provision of only one
transmitted signal at a time.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

 -
 ---