[CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Some Contest-Rule Topics
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Tue Jul 15 22:32:20 1997
Ward Silver wrote:

> > 1) Should QRP and/or low-power category entrants call stations using
> > high-power, and ask them to listen for their QRP/low-power signal?
> >
> > 2) If the answer to 1) is no, should there be a rule against it?
>
> This should not be allowed.  Why not call CQ at High-Power and then make
> the QSO at Low-Power?  The rule should state that "All contacts counted
> towards the final score shall be solicited and completed at a power
> consistent with the score's entry class.

Seems to me that this question, and the others stated in the original
message, revolves around whether or not it is OK to weasel around the
spirit of the intended rules. To me, the answer is no.

To me, the spirit of the rules, when the wording of the rules states,
``for stations using less than 5 watts,'' or whatever wording you wish to
attach to, the SPIRIT is that the station doesn't use more than 5 watts
for any contact it wishes to count in its log. Certainly we can agree
that a contact begins with the solicitation (CQ) and ends with 73, thnx.

To me, that indicates that any station which uses more than the specified
power level for ANY part of the contact should be classified in the
higher power category. Period.

Further, unless there are evident violations of the SPIRIT of the rules,
I think it's a waste of ink to spell out EVERY possible violation of the
rules. Unless there are clear violations of the SPIRIT of the rules, any
addtion to the rules is a waste of ink.

73 to all, ve4xt@mts.net
P.S. The same goes for the single-band guy moving stations from other
bands. And, if he has to move mults from other bands, hasn't he chosen
the wrong band?

 -
 ---