[CQ-Contest] QRPer runs 2KW

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRPer runs 2KW
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Thu Jul 17 20:42:13 1997
> From a practical point, I cannot imagine calling somebody with
> qro and then when they come back, quickly changing to qrp.
> This concept is crazy and certainly far beyond what the
> definition of qrp is.  AND THIS IS WELL UNDERSTOOD by the
> entrants.
>
> The QRP rules of the CQWW already make the entrant
> declare that 5W or less was used as the MAXIMUM during the contest.
> This is NOT an issue.

It doesn't sound so crazy to me.  Only the legitimate QRP contacts are
being counted toward the final score, not the QRO ones.  The QRO
contacts are part of the "checklog", not the *real* log.  What's the
problem?

Consider:

You call a guy with a KW, then tell him "Now I'm going to call you
with five watts.  Please listen."  When he hears you, you make the QSO
and put it in your log.

Q: Is this a violation of the rules?
   a) No, the QRO contact isn't against the rules because you didn't
      claim credit for it in your single op QRP log.
   b) Yes, the QRO contact is a violation because you used non-contest
      means to improve your score.

Simimarly:

You call a guy on 20 meters, then tell him "Now I'm going to call
you on 15 meters.  Please listen."  When he hears you, you make the
QSO and put it in your log.

Q: Is this a violation of the rules?
   a) No, the 20 meter contact isn't against the rules because you didn't
      claim credit for it in your single band 15 log.
   b) Yes, the 20 meter contact is a violation because you used non-contest
      means to improve your score.

One more example:

You call a guy on the landline, then tell him "Now I'm going to call
you on 15 meters.  Please listen."  When he hears you, you make the
QSO and put it in your log.

Q: Is this a violation of the rules?
   a) No, the landline contact isn't against the rules because you
      didn't claim credit for it in multi-multi log.
   b) Yes, the landline contact is a violation because you used non-contest
      means to improve your score.

I believe all three examples are exactly equal from a philosophical
standpoint, yet only #3 is specifically prohibited.

--Trey, N5KO

 -
 ---