[CQ-Contest] 40 meter operating practices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40 meter operating practices
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue Oct 28 10:06:26 1997
On 10/27/97 8:13 PM, Gary Nieborsky at k7fr@televar.com wrote:

>One problem I had during the just completed CQWW was that the DX stations on
>40 were very very lax in giving out their RX frequency.

Amen to that! And some were working station after station without given
their calls, either.

>I guess with the
>advent of wide spread packet spotting networks the need for giving out such
>trivial information has fallen below giving their call sign.  I can well
>understand that when you have a vast sea of stations calling the need to
>solicit more takes back seat to working those there but heck, it is very
>frustrating to sit and listen to a DX station knock off the Q's and not have
>a clue to where they are listening....almost as bad as not knowing the call
>of the station doing it!

More frustrating, because you can't jump in and ask for his call, because
you don't know where he is listening! Argh!

The most frustrating part of working 40m is having a DX station (most
likely a new multiplier) blithely working 40m without a split listening
frequency. This means you have no hope of contacting him.

Of course, there are a few folks who lower themselves to transmitting out
of band asking the DX to "listen up" or "listen for US". Plus the others
(some with more "famous" contesting calls) who forgo the formality of
legality and just work the DX simplex and have done with it. (and, of
course, some of those who lost track where their VFO switch was set)

>Please tell your RX frequency a little more often then every 5 minutes!!
>BTW, one went 11 minutes before doing so.....wonder how many of the calls he
>worked got their information via packet and will claim SO/UN??

Perhaps the solution is simply to permit US amatuers to operate SSB in
some portion of the 7.000-7.100 range. Seems like most all of our Region
2 breathren can, so why not?

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901