[CQ-Contest] QSL'ing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSL'ing
From: ik0hbn@isa.it ( Sante IK0HBN)
Date: Fri Nov 7 09:37:19 1997
At 23.33 06/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Behind as usual, but I had to get my two cents' worth in on this one.
>
>I am an active contester and though not making as many QSO's as the
>multiops I routinely  run off 1500-2500 QSO's in each of the seven major DX
>Contests each year.  Plus I enjoy getting into the regional and
>single-country DX contests as well (with the exception of the WAE) so that
>is several thousand more contest QSO's each year.  Plus I operate each year
>for about a month from HS0ZAR which runs up another 2000 or so QSO's
annually.

>Like ON4UN I love QSL'ing.  And I don't use labels but I (or the XYL) fill
>out each QSL by hand.
>
>I keep a record of all stations I have worked outside the continental 48
>with my K3ZO call in 11 analog books (because the system was started 14
>years before I had a computer and I don't feel like doing the keypunching
>necessary to data-process it up to date) which are at my operating
>position.  If I hear a particular station  I can look up the call
>immediately in this set of books.  If I am doing general DX'ing I only call
>stations self-defined as "rare" and which I have never worked before on any
>band.  (I make exceptions to this rule on 6 meters).  That is why you will
>frequently see me spot a station on packet that I am not working at the time.
>
>At the end of each contest I do the following:
>
>1) Use a search-and-replace program to slash all of the zeroes in the
>callsigns of the stations I have worked.
>
>2) Print out a copy of my log which goes into a binder.  A new binder is
>started each year.
>
>3) Have Word-Perfect sort my contest log in alphanumeric callsign order.
>
>4) Go through this sort with my system of 11 books and mark each log entry
>which is a never-before-worked callsign (Yes VX3EJ will get a QSL even if I
>have worked VE3EJ before).
>
>5) Deliver the completed log to the XYL who proceeds to fill out an
>expensive, multi-colored QSL -- which I have printed in Thailand -- for
>each entry.
>
>When I receive a direct QSL which requests my QSL, I answer the QSL
>directly whether or not return postage is received, and whether or not I
>have already sent a card to that station via the Bureau.
>
>When I receive a bureau shipment (thanks NY3Y for taking such good care of
>me!) I do the following:
>
>1.  I sort the cards into four categories:
>
>   a.  QSL's which say "Tks QSL"  -- filed with no further action.
>   b.  QSL's for K3ZO
>   c.  QSL's for HS0ZAR
>   d.  QSL's for other stations which have come to me by mistake.
>
>2. I begin answering cards for K3ZO, using the PVRC club cards which a lot
>of us in PVRC use.  I start with the binder for the current  year and work
>backwards.  As I pull cards to be answered out of the Bureau box, I sort
>them by year of QSO, while at the same time answering immediately those
> [...]

Hi Fred,
this is one of the reason for which one of us stops waiting you finish your
qso before calling you. And if no success at second shot, personally I wait
till I can work you, even if you are not a multiplier!
Since this year, a lot of stations have begun to test my "deafness" in
their repetitive calls during contests. I filled my personal black list of
these "friends" and they will never be contacted by me during the following
contests.
It's a shame having worked 51 times a vy famous station in your area and
never got ONE card back.
Fred, you correct habit will assure you a never-ended pile-up.
Ciao Sante
--
                                  \\||//
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:         (.)(.)