[CQ-Contest] SS exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS exchange
From: desmith@telalink.net (Doug Smith)
Date: Mon Nov 10 13:53:34 1997
>KG5U wrote: "ask them something out of context, like 'RST?'"
>
>I asked four stations for my RST during SS (because I wanted to KNOW...).
>
>Three of the four disappeared.  The fourth had to be asked five times before
>he knew what I wanted.  There's a moral there somewhere.

Well, it becomes obvious after a few hundred QSOs that about 30-40% of the
people you're working can't really copy CW at the speed you're sending;
they're getting your exchange only because you keep repeating it to everyone
else you've worked.  Ask them a question, and they're lost.

But is that necessarily a bad thing?  Sure, it'd be nice if everyone could
copy Morse at 30-40wpm.  But these callers are making an effort, they're
giving us some points, and I'll bet their real code speed is higher after SS
than it was before.  It can be annoying, but I'm very willing to live with it!

73 Doug

 -
 ---