[CQ-Contest] SS SSb - bogus call

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS SSb - bogus call
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed Nov 19 11:21:17 1997
At 12:51 AM 11/19/97 -0500, Tom Francis <tomf@neca.com> wrote:
>Saturday night I heard KB1SP answering CQ's on 80 meters.
>
>It's a bogus call - it used to be mine.  Don't know if it's
>important, but I thought I'd let you all know.

This type of problem occurs more often than we would like to think...All of
us have worked a station that just did not fit with conditions..  I find a
few every year in checking the CQ 160 logs.

The one that I remember was in the 1988 CQ WW SSB where I was operating 10
meters in a multi-single.  The band was open to the Indian Ocean/Asia as
HZ1HZ, S79D, and FR5EL had already called in...I asked EU to stand by on
occassion and there 59+10 was VQ9QM.  He knew my name and the station owner
told me to get his QSL manager which he said via W4QM.  I knew he opdrated
99.99% CW but logged him.  A nearby Mult/mult asked via packet about VQ9QM
within minutes and several of the other SE actives logged him (and put him
out on packet) in the next 30 minutes.  As I suspected the card came back
from W4QM as "not on at that time" and we worked another VQ9 the next
morning so we had the mult secured (and the station owner got his QSL card).

These things happen.  I only hope the log checkers take this into account
and don't reduce the scores.  I think the contact was allowed to stand as so
many worked him that day!  Now you guys who worked VY1CA in the CQ WW 160 CW

Dave K4JRB