[CQ-Contest] SS SSb - bogus call

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS SSb - bogus call
From: brad4@bellatlantic.net (M.G. Brafford)
Date: Wed Nov 19 16:38:29 1997
Unfortunately the practice that Dave experienced below is becoming quite
common on 10 Meters. In the last several contest's I've been called by
CB'ers who just make up a call. 10 is loaded with these bogus stations. I
had one guy answer my CQ who supposedly was in YB land. Of course his echo
box and spanish accent gave him away immediately. It got so bad in the last
contest, the CB'ers QRM'ed me when I wouldn't answer them. I hope the
contest committee log checkers can weed these guys out, cause it's gonna
get worse as the sunspots get higher.

73, Mick  W4YV

----------
> From: dave@egh.com
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSb - bogus call
>
> Hi,
>
>       About 10 or 12 years ago, there was KL7 station on 80 meters during
> CQ WW SSB.  Was he ever LOUD.  I found that to be strange since I had
never
> even heard KL7 on 80 meters before.  It was also strange how the path
from
> KL7 to New England seemed to be skewed - he was stronger on my SW 80
meter
> loop than on my NW 80 meter loop.  Anyway, needing KL7 on 80 to finish my
> 5BWAS, I happily worked him and sent him my qsl.  As you would expect, I
> received a note back from the gentleman saying that he only operates CW
and
> that I'd been had by a pirate.
>
>       It kind of makes you wonder about people who do that sort of thing.
> I suspect that their lives must be somewhat lacking.....
>
> 73, Dave Clemons K1VUT
>

>  -
>  ---

 -