[CQ-Contest] Category or 'hiding place'

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Category or 'hiding place'
From: ah672@detroit.freenet.org (Jerry Treas)
Date: Thu Nov 20 19:09:27 1997

NEWS RELEASE

The Special Olympics Organizing Committee has decided to disband and let
the Special Olympics Athletes compete in the Olympics. "After reading
statements by Gator N5RZ and Jim K4OJ we were so moved that we decided
our athletes would be able to compete with regular Olympic athletes
after we played General George Patton's speech. Also after consultation
with the OOC, they have decided to replace the traditional Olympic theme
with the theme from the soundtrack of the movie Patton. That ought to
really inspire our athletes to superhuman effort", said one of the
Special Olympics organizers.

As a founding member of CRAP, Categories Really Are Passe, I think we
should eliminate all categories, and CRAP has already petitioned CQ,
ARRL, the NCJ, and other international contest organizers to eliminate
all categories in amateur radio contests. As the operator of a 20 year
old 100 watt rig and a dipole, why should I want to know how well I can
do against others in this same situation, and why should I want to have
a feeling that I MIGHT have a chance of winning. I should just be glad
to be 'cannon fodder' for the gloriously patriotic BIG stations. Or
maybe I should take my daughters out of college so I can afford a BIG
contest station. There would be only ONE winner, and everybody should
feel honored to have given this op a QSO. No more whining. No more
excuses. No more hiding places.

Sincerely,

Prof. Spoofnik