[CQ-Contest] Kenwood TS-850 vs TS-870

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Kenwood TS-850 vs TS-870
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Thu Dec 4 00:13:30 1997
On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 19:47:25 -0600 Dan Copeland <dcopeland@wwn.net>
writes:

>I was just wondering which one is the better radio. I have heard
>that the 850 is the better but I would like some other opinions.

The 870 was reviewed in a recent QST, and had one serious
shortcoming: Loud adjacent signals sneaked around the DSP
filter.

I have a pair of 850's, and they are very good. I have never used
an 870.

I've heard a rumor that late production 870's have a different
alignment procedure, and different DSP software, that help with
the above problem. The 870 is the only amateur rig so far
with DSP inside the AGC loop, but apparently they didn't get it
quite right. The next generation of radios should be the ones to
get it done correctly, and it should be a significant improvement.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL@juno.com
Yuma, AZ