[CQ-Contest] Multi-Single

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Single
From: k0hb@juno.com (Hans Brakob)
Date: Sun Dec 7 03:56:09 1997
From: k0hb
To: dnorris@k7no.com
Cc: CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Single

On Sat, 06 Dec 1997 17:19:41 -0700 Dean Norris <dnorris@k7no.com> writes:

>I am sysop of a cluster and noticed that at least one contester that
>enters as single op/unassisted was connected to the cluster for the full

>period of the contest.  Suggestions?

*Being connected* to the cluster is not necessarily cheating.  *Using
the spots* (and claiming "unassisted") is cheating.

For example, CT will allow a single op to be connected and even
post spots, but it will not show that op the spots from other stations.

On the other hand, it is possible to monitor the cluster without even
being
connected, so why connect and expose yourself to suspicion?

If you feel the op is cheating, watch for a pattern of correlation
between
cluster spots and the suspect stations' operation.  For example, if the
suspect station is running on 20, but shifts quickly to 15 to grab a
spotted
rare mult, then goes back to his run freq, you can assume he is "seeing"
the spots, and may wish to send your cluster log to the contest sponsor
for comparison with his log.

Yes, some folks cheat.  No question of it.  But throwing away the
single-op category to thwart some small number of poor sports is
not the way to solve this problem.  (In fact the "problem" may be so
small, it isn't worth our attention.)

73, de Hans, K0HB