[CQ-Contest] K4OJ M/S story

Subject: [CQ-Contest] K4OJ M/S story
From: 107770.3462@compuserve.com (James P. Cassidy)
Date: Tue Dec 9 15:09:12 1997
K4OJ, I really enjoyed your description of W1CW.  I had the same feelings
as a first timer at W7RM M/M.  the similiarity to your operation. The
operation was headed up by Rush W7RM and Mike K7NT.  They put together a
very good operating plan that best utilized the individual skills.  Radios
and computers came along with various operators.
 I think it was extra special for me after many years contesting from a
small tribander home station with almost no antennas on 80 and 160 to be at
a first class contest operation.
As you said, I learned about the networking part of the operation, first
time to use TRLOG, new radios to work with, the awesome feeling hearing
5V7A at noon local time on 40m at s9+ on the s meter.(3 el at 200' does the
job!)(And of course the 40m team had a QSO long before with 5V7A)
My primary operating was on 160m, which was new to me also.  But I did do
sometime on almost all the other bands.
And the great camaraderie with the other ops when not on the air.  I was so
pumped up I went the whole 48 hours with very little sleep. There were
always antenna discussions, operating techniques and the usual ham chatter
at all hours of the night.   And when I got home I was still on a high,
kind of like a kid at Christmas!
And it got even better, about 20 minutes after I arrived at home, Rush
called to ask me to work the ARRL 160 S/O.  That was also a super weekend.
We didn't set any records in doing this but everyone had a great
time,learned at least a little more about what it takes to do well.  And I
know more competition will  follow as the cycle improves.
73 Jim KI7Y