[CQ-Contest] TS940 Hiccup's cured!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS940 Hiccup's cured!
From: W1HIJ@contesting.com (W1HIJ--Bill)
Date: Wed Dec 10 09:21:02 1997
Thanks to all who responded...here's the consensus of opinion...

One of the first responses was from Lee, ZL2AL who indicated that he had
the same problem which was cured by the replacement of a transformer on the
synthesizer board. Apparently with advancing age, wax in the transformer
dries out and causes intermittent operation. Replacement is simple and
fairly cheap.

Thanks for the info, Lee

Others responded with the same cure (altho with less detail).

An alternative diagnosis was, of course, the ubiqutous RFI which is a
continuing battle. In this case, however, I lean toward the component as
the cause. The trusty 940 is, after all getting along in years.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I hope to have a confirmation from
Kenwood in a day or two and perhaps an estimate of repair cost for those
who don't wish to tackle it themselves.

73,
Bill, W1HIJ