[CQ-Contest] more 1 station, 2callsigns

Subject: [CQ-Contest] more 1 station, 2callsigns
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sun Dec 14 22:27:06 1997
At 02:12 PM 12/14/97 EST, W2XL wrote:

> What it boils down to is is this: If you operate from
>1 location, only one score should be submitted for a given contest,
>from that location. Anything else violates the spirit and the intent
>of the rules of the contest AND fairplay.  73, Bob W2XL

I disagree with the rule.  Suppose I decided to open my station up to give
some non-contesters a chance to get their feet wet.  Maybe they are new
hams, maybe they just don't have room for HF antnennas, maybe they just
never considered contesting before.  Ideally, they would sit down, work a
bunch of guys with their own call, let the next guy work some, etc.  Maybe
get the contesting bug.  Unfortunately, this misguided rule prevents them
from doing that.  (I already answer 4000 QSLs per year, don't even suggest
they use my call!)

Here's another scenario:  I have limited time, maybe all I can do is work
some low band stuff at night during certain contests.  So my station sits
idle all day because of this rule.  Maybe KL2A or somebody could come over
and crank out some high band Qs while I'm gone, but the rule says no.  So,
the options are:

1.  Let the station sit idle all day

2.  Let someone else also operate, pointedly violate the rule, but just
don't send in either score

3.  Claim multi-single and use one call, which neither one of us want to do

4.  Get ticked off and don't operate this contest

Allegedly this rule is to prevent manufactured contacts, but like a lot of
ill-wrought legislation, the cure is worse than the disease.  In the spirit
of fairplay, the rule should be rewritten to prevent manufactured contacts,
not prevent increased contest participation.

Now I have to go answer more QSLs....

                                                Dan KL7Y