[CQ-Contest] THE TRUTH: fcc rf guidelines

Subject: [CQ-Contest] THE TRUTH: fcc rf guidelines
From: W3CF@aol.com (W3CF)
Date: Tue Dec 30 10:37:53 1997
In a message dated 97-12-30 09:16:21 EST, kurscj@oampc12.csg.mot.com writes:

<< They will still think that 30' is reasonable and you will
 have to turn down your power to to meed the ADDITIONAL FCC rule.
 I don't think that they will see those two rules as mutually
 exclusive, but rather you have to meet both. >>

Perhaps its me but the way I read PRB-1 it seems 30' tower is NOT reasonable!
Several pages refered to 70' as being REASONABLE. Loaned my copy out to aid a
local going through the neighboring township ordinance fight so I can't quote
but...when I had ARRL Legal here for my meeting with the township that was
part of his argument. I can also tell you that 30' is not reasonable or
prudent when trying to run emergency Hurricaine traffic out of the Caribbean.
I have permission (in writing) here to go to 100' as long as it is a crank up
tower. I have a 55' crank up tower only because of financial constraints. One
of the things that also helped was my involvement in local RACES/ARES. In fact
after a local emergency preparedness drill I had the township EOM stop by here
after I told him what the scenario was (3' snow/hvy winds/antennas down
everywhere/power out) and he actually saw all the different means of passing
emergency traffic that he didn't have access to and delared this station as
the Township Emergency Communications Center. He thought it would be easier
for him to bring over a trailer mounted generator and portable police/township
radio than for me to bring my gear to the township EOC. I live in a cluster
community with townhomes, duplexes, and single family dwellings all pretty
close together. I have the only outside antenna in a square mile. I stick out
like a sore thumb! I peacefully co-exist with my neighbors because I actively
participate in RFI/TVI complaints and I use the rules in place for MY
advantage. I have the right to have a reasonable amateur radio station in my
house....much like my neighbor has the right to have that awful looking above
ground pool in his back yard. This RF guidline, as Doug pointed out, is
another tool in my tool box. I MUST RAISE MY ANTENNA TO COMPLY WITH FCC
GUIDLINES!  Perish the thought of pumping RF in vast quantities toward the
adults and children of the neighborhood from such a low antenna. Tried this
idea with the YL for new 100 motorized crank up and it worked! Until WE saw
the price tag! :-(            I take charity ;-)
The glass is half full!
73 es HNY
Doug W3CF
V26DX @ V26B